Sunday, February 20, 2011

The First of the Year.

And the winner is...

Rossa di Milano Onions. These babies were the first to stand up and be counted. This is a mid-size red italian storage onion with medium hot flavor. I grew it last year and was really pleased with it's performance. It grew consistantly even after being rescued from agressive and out-of control weeds in late June. I will plant these out in April depending on how fast we melt out in the field.

I set up the seed nursery in my dining room where the light is best and the space is greatest. Of course this means that we will gradually lose access to the room for "dining" as it becomes chock full of seedlings. We hope to remedy this in the next few years with a three season green house to get our plants off and running. We grow all our vegetables from seed here at Side Track Farm.

Come May I'll rotate the starts out to the front porch during the mildest days. All the in and out hardens off the plants gradually. It's a great day on the farm when the dining room is empty and the porch is spilling over with the next set of transplants.

But I get ahead of myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment